Here’s a tasty and elegant spin on the classic favorite tomato soup. This popular Roasted Tomato and Red Pepper Soup is topped off uniquely with a delicious Lump Crab Crouton. Add fresh basil or a sprinkle of parmesan cheese and serve it with a mini grilled cheese sandwich and you have a healthy and filling meal!
- 4 large red bell peppers
- 4 large tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons pomace olive oil
- ¼ cup chopped yellow onion
- 4 cups (or more) roasted chicken broth or regular chicken broth
- ¾ cup (6 ounces) light coconut milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
Lump Crab Meat Crouton Ingredients:
- 8 ounces lump crab meat, picked for shells
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped shallot
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon white truffle oil (optional)
- 6 (1/4 x 2 inch) slices baguette, toasted
1. For the soup, preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Coat the bell peppers and tomatoes with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and place on a baking sheet. Roast for 20 to 30 minutes or until the skin breaks away. Remove the stems from the peppers.
2. Combine the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil with the onion, bell peppers and tomatoes in a medium saucepan. Sweat over low heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the flour and stir to coat well. Stir in the chicken broth and coconut milk.
3. Simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, adding additional broth if needed and stirring occasionally. Process the mixture in a blender until smooth. Strain through a regular sieve and season with salt and pepper to taste. Return to the saucepan and keep warm.
4. For the crouton, combine the crab meat, shallot, basil, olive oil and truffle oil into a small bowl and mix well. Spread on the croutons.
5. Ladle the soup into soup bowls and top each serving with a crouton. Serve with basil oil.
Yield: 6 servings.
Recipe courtesy of Cal-a-Vie Health Spa’s Executive Chef Jason Graham
Available in: Cal-a-Vie Living, Gourmet Spa Cuisine cookbook
For more information, please visit www.cal-a-vie.com.