- ½ lb. chicken breast, boneless, skinless
- 1(8 ounce) pineapple, diced (reserve juice)
- ½ lemon
- ½ lime
- ½ orange
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- ½ mango, diced
- ½ small red onion, diced
- ½ jalapeno pepper, diced
- 1teaspoon cumin, toasted or ground
- ½ teaspoon fresh garlic, chopped
- ½ teaspoon fresh ginger, chopped
- ½ teaspoon jerk chicken seasoning
- ½ tablespoon honey
- ½ tablespoon oil or butter
- 4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese (about 1 cup), grated
- 4 large flour tortilla shells
1. Clean chicken breasts, removing fat or cartilage. Place in mixing bowl.
2. Drain pineapple, pouring half of the juice in the mixing bowl and reserving the other half.
3. Squeeze the juice from the lemon, lime, and orange over the chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Scrape the pulp from the lemon, lime, and orange, and reserve in a separate bowl.
4. Wrap chicken bowl tightly, and let marinate for at least one hour.
5. Grill or pan-sear chicken on medium high heat until golden brown and fully cooked (but juicy). Let chicken cool; then dice.
6. Add pineapple, mango, red onion, jalapeno, cumin, garlic, ginger, chicken seasoning, and honey to reserved fruit. Combine with chicken.
7. Heat a large frying pan to medium heat. Spread oil, or butter around the bottom of the panwith a spatula. Place tortilla shell and place it in pan. Add a small handful of cheese to half of the shell, top with chicken mixture, add a second handful of cheese, and fold the tortilla in half. Cook for 1-2 minutes, browning slightly, and then use a spatula to flip it over. Remove and cut into wedges. Can be served room temperature.
Yield: 4 large quesadillas
Passion Fruit Salsa
- 1 cup mango, diced
- 1 cup papaya, diced
- 1 cup pineapple, diced
- ½ medium red onion, diced
- ½ cup red pepper, diced
- ¼ cup banana or jalapeno pepper, diced
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- ¼ cup rice wine or cider vinegar
- ¼ cup light olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin, ground
- Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl.
2. Season with salt and pepper.
Yield: 5 cups
Recipe courtesy of nationally-renowned Chef Jason Capps, owner of Bella Sera, an event venue and catering company located in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Adding to the Bella Sera family this summer, he will launch Bella Sera on the Square, a trattoria-style eatery in the heart of downtown Pittsburgh.
Jason has traveled the east coast working at world-class destinations such as Nemacolin Woodlands in the Laurel Mountains and Kiawah Island and Seabrook Island Resorts in Charleston, South Carolina. In Philadelphia, he was the off-premise catering coordinator for a multi-million dollar corporate catering facility, and in New York City, he served as the catering chef at Dean & DeLuca, the prestigious Manhattan gourmet store.
A third-generation food service entrepreneur, Jason launched his first catering business in 1999 and has since become one of the most sought-after caterers in the Pittsburgh area. In addition to his business ventures, Jason serves as a director of the International Caterers Association.
For more information, please visit www.bellaserabygrecos.com, call (724) 745-5575, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.